Saturday 6 August 2011

Midsummer

Saturday started well but then became a bit wet. So all a sensible golfer could do was sit inside and commiserate with people as they came in and wonder about those who went out.




But I had had a game the evening before, the last of the summer mixed greensomes which took place on a calm sunny Friday evening of the type we'd imagined when we suggested the idea. Eleven people turned up so to keep a relatively simple structure, we had three groups of two teams each; I was a greensome team all on my own. After a bit of negotiation, it was agreed I could have two drives with the loss of one off my handicap. I liked the idea of having two drives and choosing the best one; it's a lot better than that three off the tee stuff. But in the end 34 points wasn't enough to trouble the scorers. There were, however, only two points between the other five teams, with a clear winner with 39 points - Nicky Rose and Malcolm Cresswell and second place decided on the back six -Alison Reed and Will Rose. As before all those who took part enjoyed the game and I hope they continue next year. Malcolm was kind enough to give Nicky and I a specially labelled bottle of wine as a thank you for organising them - "..the best vines avoid The Dinkie...etc.."


And the day before I'd had just as challenging a match, one I'm pleased to say I won despite having to break for the weather half way round. Gil's Ruin, my Black Swan quiz team, had its first annual Crazy Golf tournament. I'm a great fan of the course at Seahouses which I think is good training for normal putting. With these games behind me I didn't mind missing out on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment