Sunday 24 July 2011

Alnmouth Village

Alnmouth Village hosted a charity day to raise money for St Oswald's Hospice in memory of Peter Braidford; it was a Texas Scramble No doubt in recognition of the victory in the Texas Scramble the other week (did I mention that? We're wondering if we should have a board in the bar for that competition) by Keith Whitfield and myself (and a couple of others), Steve Clements, a friend of Peter's, asked us to play along with Mike Robinson for added talent.


I hadn't played Alnmouth Village before: I loved it. Some criticised the conditions and the wait as the holes criss-crossed but I thought it was delightfully quirky, and the view from the 7th/16th tee must be one of the best in golf. This is the second oldest links course in Britain (after Royal N Devon) and I think we're lucky to have it in the neighbourhood.
We didn't win: Steve and Mike played well but Keith and I were more like our form at the Northumberland friendly than the Texas Scramble. But we did come 8th and got a bottle of wine at a packed presentation at the clubhouse. The day raised £4,500.

No comments:

Post a Comment