Saturday 8 January 2011

The Burgess dinner

Past captains had told me that one of the highlights of my year would be my trip to the annual dinner at the Royal Burgess Golfing Society; this proved to be the case.

As I noted at the time of our friendly match in August, we are fortunate to have a relationship with the oldest golf society in the world and they are excellent hosts at their clubhouse in Edinburgh. I don't think I have ever had as much Drambuie in one sitting but fortunately it's a drink that doesn't leave an after effect. I'll try to remember some of the evening's jokes to repeat (hopefully just the once) in speeches during the year; in the meantime here's one from the toast on behalf of the guests: "I'd also like to say thank you to Roger and Nick in the kitchen; I don't know if that's their names but I gather it's what they've been doing all day."
Unfortunately Edinburgh had a big snowfall during the evening which meant we couldn't play golf the following day - although apparently the course had been mostly closed all week. But as always snow and sunshine is a good combination for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment